It's a day for staying on the couch, under a blanket, with the dog and the daughter. Watching movies, reading books, coloring (yes crayons to paper) while we poke the fire and drink one hot, warming, snuggly beverage after another.
Mid-February in the Midwest is a battle against the seasonal blues and a slow crawl towards spring. I am going to enjoy this day of slow, relaxation. Of couch sitting. Of time well spent with my daughter. Of warm beverages like this turmeric tea.
To read about the full health benefits, I recommend this article, which has a resource page. From the article: "Traditionally, turmeric milk has been used for colds, congestion, headache, and sore throats. Turmeric is a depression-fighter as well. Adding more to our diets is one great brain build."
Turmeric Milk Tea is a wonderful way to warm up and combat those winter blues. After reading the research, this nutrient-dense drink’s benefits seem unlimited. Used primarily in India, it is often called “Golden Milk” and is an anti-inflammatory and has proven anti-cancer qualities. Turmeric is also known for its benefits to digestion, immune function, liver health, arthritis, and depression. Its wonderful before bed as it aids relaxation and helps boost the immune system when sleeping.
Here is my personal recipe:
- 2 cups of milk (almond, coconut, and other milks can be substituted).
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey or to taste
- Pinch of Black Pepper (enhances the bioavailability of the turmeric
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of Cacao, for Turmeric Hot Chocolate!
1. Combine ingredients into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling
2. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. (Allow the heat a chance to enhance the benefits of the Turmeric)
3. Drink immediately.